Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Classroom use of Twitter

I personally don't have a Twitter account, and never imagined creating one for myself.  As I am learning more and more about great online resources for the classroom, I am beginning to realize that Twitter is one of those resources.  The way my classroom would be able to connect and follow other people would really be a fun way to get the students excited to read and write.  We could follow a favorite author that we read in the classroom and then send a tweet in hopes of hearing back from him/her.  Since technology is so fast, we could possibly hear back from that author within a couple of days.

 Like Cassidy mentions in her book, Twitter got a bad reputation with people tweeting everything from their daily lives.  However, after reading this chapter on Twitter, I realized how important it could be in the classroom.  Twitter would be a good way for students to practice reading and writing.  Considering many of my students could have their own account in the next couple of years, it would also be a great way for the students to practice "safe" procedures on an online resource before they have their own accounts and are not as supervised.

3 comments:

  1. I do not have a twitter account either, but the more I am reading, I believe I should keep up with the fast technology as well. My daughter's school twitters daily. I could easily follow her teachers and activities that are happening throughout the day live. It could feel as though I am there with her and we could relate easier if I knew what was happening immediately.

    I am also starting to realize that twitter is a learning and when used correctly could be an educational tool. The teachers have been wanting me to create an account and follow them. I believe I will not only create an account, but I will allow my daughter to do so as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had signed up for Twitter a couple of years ago intending to use it with my classroom. However, it quickly became just another resource that I would get to when I had time to figure it out. After we started this course, I blew the dust off of my username and password and slowly started following authors and other classroom teachers. I was amazed how fast I was able to make connections with so many wonderful people. I already have set up a Mystery Skype with a teacher in Washington for next week and have a second one in the works. Also, through Twitter I was able to find a few different teachers who wanted people to comment on their students blogs, which I have since had my students do. Twitter is also fantastic for finding great ideas, video clips, comprehension questions, etc. I check my account constantly now because I don't want to miss anything!! If you set up an account, be sure to follow me @simonsaysread -- let me know if you need help getting started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback! I have been hesitant I think because of the negative rep. that Twitter has gotten. However, with all the different resources I am realizing are there, I just may you up on that offer to help me get started!

      Delete