Sunday, October 6, 2013

Skype and Google Hangouts

This class has really opened my eyes to all the resources we really have at our fingertips.  I always considered myself to be somewhat knowledgeable when it comes to technology and with practice, I can usually figure things out on my own.  However, some of the resources we have used in this class so far, like blogging and Google hangouts, I would probably not try on my own.

Our last class, we had the opportunity to try two different Google hangouts and I really enjoyed be a part of them.  It was amazing to talk "face to face" with Kathy Cassidy and ask questions about her book and her experience using technology in her own classroom.  We also had the chance to try a "mystery" Skype, in which we had to ask questions to figure out where our guest was located.  This was my first time communicating through this way, and now I can absolutely see how helpful it could be in the classroom.

My school librarian has used Skype in order to talk with authors of different books the students love; however, not all the students are able to participate in this opportunity.  It is pretty much a first come, first serve type of sign up and if the students don't sign up early enough they do not get the chance.  One thing that I would really like to try in my classroom is a mystery Skype.  It would make the students use their map skills to figure out how to ask questions on the person's location.  It also requires the students to use their speaking and listening skills to accurately communicate in order pinpoint their location.   What a great way to help students learn Geography and connect with people in different locations!

7 comments:

  1. I agree! I used to think that I was really proficient with technology, but it seems I had so much to learn! Blogging, Google Hangouts, Google Docs... I never knew about these resources! I LOVE blogging with my students and maintaining my own blog as well. I still need practice with Google Hangouts; I don't feel as though I could do it on my own yet. I definitely need to practice how to do it! Skype seems a bit more user friendly at this point.

    Let me know if you set your class up with blogs, Skype, Twitter, or any of the other resources we've learned about so we can connect our classrooms! I'm so excited that you are teaching fourth grade this year too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to try setting up a blog for the classroom because I really think my students would benefit from it in many different ways. How easy was it to set up for your students and did you experience any issues with getting approval for your students to be online?
      I think if we could get our kids to connect on a blog, it would be an amazing experience for them!

      Delete
  2. I am so on the same page as both you and Taylor, except I have not thought of myself as technology savvy, just a fairly quick learner. Most of all I am willing to go the extra mile and try new things. If anyone would like to do a "mystery" skype with me at my school, I would be willing to arrange. It could be cool to start small and still within the town or Connecticut. I could even try to set up a "buddy" class to experience a virtual read aloud. My students would love it!

    I also enjoyed the two Hangouts Thursday evening. I especially loved the mystery one. I learned more from the live chat on Thursday then many workshops I have attended. I hope to experiment more on line with all the apps she gave us and share them with my colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have already talked with my principal about trying a mystery Skype and he thought it was a great idea to help students with their map skills. Let's try to arrange a time where our students would be able to connect! I know my class would really like "working" with your students!

      Delete
  3. I would also be very interested in setting up a "Mystery Skype." I am meeting with my principal this week, so I am going to pass it by him first. I couldn't agree more that this class has opened my eyes to the world of technology. While I had previously used Google Docs in my classroom, I never truly realized all of the resources that are available to teachers.

    I was talking with one of my colleagues and we were saying wouldn't it be nice to just take a one year sabbatical and be able to become experts on all of the technology out there! We would come back fresh and ready to jump on the technology bandwagon. I am just struggling trying to find time to introduce the new things I am learning to my students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have generally rated my technological abilities as "fair". I have known what I needed to know and not much more. This course has pushed me to explore the world of technology and now that I have, I am so excited to learn more. I had no idea what a "Mystery Skype" was until last week's class. Like many of you mentioned, the geographical skills that would be strengthened from this activity alone make skyping a worthwhile endeavor. I do wonder, however, how easy it is to set up skypes with authors and other classrooms. I suppose, as with anything, if you just Google it, you'd find your solution. And by the way, skyping with another class in another country brings a whole new meaning to the term "buddy class". The possibilities and benefits seem endless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how Kate gave herself a rating for technology. I would probably also give myself a rating of "fair". Certain parts of technology came rather easy but some were more of a challenge. I could handle Animoto but the digital story project required more help. I look forward to practicing more and incorporating more into my classroom when I am more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete